Moving or "upgrading" from MD5 to SSHA512

Jyri Hovila [Turvamies.fi] jyri.hovila at turvamies.fi
Sat Jan 10 00:07:17 UTC 2015

Hello, world!

I have a long-running Dovecot & Postfix installation using PostgreSQL back-end.

Until now I've been using MD5 hashing but would like to "upgrade" to the salted SSHA512.

Is there a way to configure Dovecot so that it would automatically detect the type of the hash stored in the database, so that users who have changed their password (and thus being hashed with SHA512) and users still having an MD5 hash would both be able to authenticate at the same time?

Yours,

Jyri
--
+358-50-5632104 (24/7)