sieve filter not working

Christian Kivalo ml+dovecot at valo.at
Fri Jan 23 18:38:42 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-23 18:04, Michael Williamson wrote:
> HI,
Hello,

>> You could set
>>
>> syslog_facility = local5
>>
>> and have all the log messages in the messages file.
>
> According to the output of command
>
>  # doveadm log find
>
> every type of message goes to the file I was looking at,
> "/var/spool/maillog".

Ok, then the information should be in /var/log/messages when you up the
verbosity in 10-logging.conf by setting

mail_debug=yes

and restart dovecot. This should work as expected and show what dovecot
is doing.

Another question:
Local mail delivery of received mail from external sources does indeed
work?
If so, was that log excerpt in one of the former mails an example of
such delivery?

>>> So, is it postfix doing the local mail delivery, not dovecot?
>>>
>> To answer this question please post relevant parts of your postfix
>> main.cf
>> - mailbox_command
>> - virtual_transport
>> - mailbox_transport
>
> Those three do not appear to be assigned in "main.cf" (two are
> commented out
> and 'virtual_transport' not there):
>
> # The mailbox_command parameter specifies the optional external
> # command to use instead of mailbox delivery. The command is run as
> # the recipient with proper HOME, SHELL and LOGNAME environment
> settings.
> # Exception:  delivery for root is done as $default_user.
> #
> # Other environment variables of interest: USER (recipient username),
> # EXTENSION (address extension), DOMAIN (domain part of address),
> # and LOCAL (the address localpart).
> #
> # Unlike other Postfix configuration parameters, the mailbox_command
> # parameter is not subjected to $parameter substitutions. This is to
> # make it easier to specify shell syntax (see example below).
> #
> # Avoid shell meta characters because they will force Postfix to run
> # an expensive shell process. Procmail alone is expensive enough.
> #
> # IF YOU USE THIS TO DELIVER MAIL SYSTEM-WIDE, YOU MUST SET UP AN
> # ALIAS THAT FORWARDS MAIL FOR ROOT TO A REAL USER.
> #
> #mailbox_command = /some/where/procmail
> #mailbox_command = /some/where/procmail -a "$EXTENSION"
>
> # The mailbox_transport specifies the optional transport in master.cf
> # to use after processing aliases and .forward files. This parameter
> # has precedence over the mailbox_command, fallback_transport and
> # luser_relay parameters.
> #
> # Specify a string of the form transport:nexthop, where transport is
> # the name of a mail delivery transport defined in master.cf.  The
> # :nexthop part is optional. For more details see the sample transport
> # configuration file.
> #
> # NOTE: if you use this feature for accounts not in the UNIX password
> # file, then you must update the "local_recipient_maps" setting in
> # the main.cf file, otherwise the SMTP server will reject mail for
> # non-UNIX accounts with "User unknown in local recipient table".
> #
> #mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp

Ok, none set. Could you post the output of postconf to the list so we
are able to see your running postfix config.

I believe dovecot has actually nothing to do with delivering your mails
so no sieve filters are applied...

> Thanks,
> -Mike
- christian