ESEARCH multiple folders

Peter Chiochetti pch at myzel.net
Wed Jul 8 09:26:56 UTC 2015

Am 2015-07-07 um 19:52 schrieb Michael Slusarz:
> On 7/7/2015 12:20 AM, Peter Chiochetti wrote:
>> FTS-Solr is blazingly fast; yet searching e.g. an archive with
>> subfolders still is slow; I learned, that this is a feature/bug of the
>> imap protocol. So I'd like to ask:
>>
>> Does or will dovecot support the "IMAP4 Multimailbox SEARCH Extension"
>> specified in RFC 7377?
>
> The speed (or lack thereof) has very little to do with the IMAP protocol
> limitations. RFC 7377 is not going to appreciably speed this process up;
> you'll probably get almost identical results pipelining all the
> subfolder searches.

Using Mozilla Thunderbird here, which does not do ESEARCH, but has a
checkbox in "Find" dialog: search on server, search sub-folders:

The IMAP chat looks like: select mailbox, post search terms, read
results; select sub-mailbox, post search terms, read results; repeat…
and that is slow; never mind everything being indexed.

ESEARCH would reduce the number of roundtrips to a single one and that
should be a great push in speed. It should not be difficult in dovecot
to produce the corresponding SOLR request. Before opening an enhancement
issue on their (TB) bugzilla, I'd like to know of a server capable of
it, ie. I would love dovecot to be that one.

--
peter