Large jumps in dovecot-uidlist

Mark dovecot-m at homeinbox.net
Tue Jul 7 07:59:53 UTC 2015

On 19/06/2015 18:41, Mark wrote:
> On 15/06/2015 18:04, Mark wrote:
>>>
>>> So it's dovecot from the backports.
>>> Didn't you notice that since about 2 months there's now jessie out?
>>
>> I did. Based on my previous experience of upgrading Debian as soon as
>> the new release was announced and having to roll everything back because
>> of this problem I'm taking a more cautious approach this time.
>>
>>> That has 2.2.13 too but maybe it's an issue outside of dovecot in some
>>> library. Or just a bug in the backport.
>>
>> Possibly. I'm not against doing the full upgrade to Jessie to see what
>> effect that has. I've been running the backport for a while and the
>> problem certainly hasn't got worse. I'll see if I can find some time in
>> the next few days to try the upgrade.
>
> I haven't found the time to do the upgrade to Jessie yet but I have
> tweaked my checking script to run more frequently. That gave me a
> narrower window to look at in the logs and these messages appear at the
> same time as the jump is introduced into the UID list:
>
> Jun 19 17:00:57 server02 dovecot: imap(mark): Error: Log synchronization
> error at seq=2,offset=152 for
> /secure/home/mark/Maildir/.Apache.Misc.committers/dovecot.index: Append
> with UID 2427206830, but next_uid = 2685375011
> Jun 19 17:00:57 server02 dovecot: imap(mark): Warning: fscking index
> file /secure/home/mark/Maildir/.Apache.Misc.committers/dovecot.index
>
> I've done some Googling but haven't (yet) found anything that might
> match up.
>
> I'm hoping that the above might provide enough information to someone
> more familiar with Dovecot than me to suggest what I might be able to do
> to fix this. If not, I'll see what happens post Jessie upgrade.

One more information point. I still see the same symptoms after
upgrading to Jessie.

I haven't been able to see a pattern in the errors yet but I'll keep
looking. Spending some time trying to isolate a test case is on my TODO
list but until I find the time to do that any other suggestions welcome.

Mark