Dovecot/Pigeonhole Issue (UTC modtime instead of localtime)

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Fri Jul 31 14:57:31 UTC 2015

Christoph Gröver schreef op 31-7-2015 om 16:01:
> We are using the following setup:
>
> Dovecot-2.2.18
> Pigeonhole-0.4.8  (for Dovecot-2.2)
>
> After the mail is finally delivered via a fileinto by the Sieve filter
> it gets an updated timestamp (modification time).
> The server has localtime setup correctly IMO (UTC +0200), but still the
> delivered mail is setup as being two hours old.

Hmm. Probably, the timezone configuration (i.e. the contents of TZ
timezone environment variable) somehow doesn't reach the final stages of
e-mail delivery.

> I think I found out that the function sieve_file_storage_update_mtime()
> is the cause of this problem.

No. That is for the storage of the Sieve scripts and not the delivered
e-mail. That part is handled by Dovecot lib-storage.

> But perhaps there has to be some kind of
> setup, that tells pigeonhole to use the 2 hour offset of CEST.
> I think to reset the mtime by utime(s) is a bit strange. It already gets
> the correct modtime just by storing it in the filesystem.
>
> Last version we used (0.2.5) did not have this poblem. So it must be
> there for some reason?

That is very old. Many things have changed in the mean time, so this is
not very helpful in pinpointing what could cause this.

I haven't tried this at my end yet, but - to make sure we have all the
information we may need - could you enlighten us a bit about your
configuration? So, what output is produced by `dovecot -n`? How is final
delivery performed (using LDA or LMTP)?

Regards,

Stephan.