Does Dovecot allow different clients to subscribe different subsets of IMAP folders?

Steve sjh_dovecot at shic.co.uk
Thu Jun 4 14:43:28 UTC 2015

Hi Daniel,

Hmm - I'm happy to use different 'user names' to log into Dovecot... as
long as each of these logins can still subscribe to the same universe of
folders I have available at present.  I can envision using steve_mobile
and steve_desktop as logins, as long as these still provide access to
the same mailboxes as I have in steve's Maildir folder.

I'm guessing that this would mean I can't/shouldn't use PAM for Dovecot
authentication? I don't really want to create 'dummy' (shell-account)
"users" on my server... but, I guess, it would be OK if I were to use
some other authentication mechanism, and pointed all these Dovecot-only
logins to the same Maildir folder.

By any chance, is there a 'howto' detailing a suitable sample
configuration for such a setup?

BTW - I would definitely want to be able to change subscriptions from
any device...  I just want independent subscriptions for my
tablet/phone/desktop/VM clients - as I use email in different ways from
these different environments.