Does Dovecot allow different clients to subscribe different subsets of IMAP folders?

Daniel Tröder troeder at univention.de
Thu Jun 4 15:26:30 UTC 2015

Hi Steve,

for some reason I didn't get you message though the mailing list (my ml
settings?), but only directly. For the sake of completeness I'm replying
here - I hope that's OK.

Shared mailboxes are really easy to implement. Just enable the namespace
(type = shared) in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-mail.conf

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Namespaces
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes/Shared

You may want to share index files, so you'll have the same [un]read
flags on all devices. Simply do _not_ configure INDEXPVT, or configure
it to a common directory.

If you wish to share keywords so you'll have the same
"important"/"red"/"star" flags on all accounts, do _not_ configure
pre-user CONTROL, or configure it to a common directory.

I think this should work:

namespace {
  type = shared
  separator = /
  prefix = shared/%%u/
  location = maildir:%%h/Maildir
  subscriptions = no
  list = children
}

You'll have to configure ACLs too.

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/ACL

/etc/dovecot/conf.d/90-acl.conf
plugin {
  acl_shared_dict = file:/var/lib/dovecot/shared-mailboxes
}
plugin {
  # Without global ACLs:
  acl = vfile
}

10-mail.conf: mail_plugins = $mail_plugins acl quota
20-imap.conf: mail_plugins = $mail_plugins imap_acl imap_quota

Then you can get/set ACLs with:

doveadm acl get -u mobile at mail.com shared/main at mail.com   <--- INBOX
doveadm acl set -A shared/main at mail.com mobile at mail.com lookup read ...
doveadm acl get -u mobile at mail.com shared/main at mail.com

doveadm acl set -A shared/main at mail.com mobile at mail.com/Spam lookup read ...

You'll have to find a way to do this for all your mailboxes in some
shell script or with python or whatever.

Good luck
Daniel

--
Daniel Tröder