Large jumps in dovecot-uidlist

Mark dovecot-m at homeinbox.net
Fri Jun 19 17:41:19 UTC 2015

On 15/06/2015 18:04, Mark wrote:
> On 15/06/2015 17:46, Felix Zielcke wrote:
>> Am Sonntag, den 14.06.2015, 10:46 +0100 schrieb Mark:
>>> Since upgrading to Debian Wheezy
>>> # 2.2.13: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>>> # OS: Linux 3.2.0-4-kirkwood armv5tel Debian 7.8
>>
>> So it's dovecot from the backports.
>> Didn't you notice that since about 2 months there's now jessie out?
>
> I did. Based on my previous experience of upgrading Debian as soon as
> the new release was announced and having to roll everything back because
> of this problem I'm taking a more cautious approach this time.
>
>> That has 2.2.13 too but maybe it's an issue outside of dovecot in some
>> library. Or just a bug in the backport.
>
> Possibly. I'm not against doing the full upgrade to Jessie to see what
> effect that has. I've been running the backport for a while and the
> problem certainly hasn't got worse. I'll see if I can find some time in
> the next few days to try the upgrade.

I haven't found the time to do the upgrade to Jessie yet but I have
tweaked my checking script to run more frequently. That gave me a
narrower window to look at in the logs and these messages appear at the
same time as the jump is introduced into the UID list:

Jun 19 17:00:57 server02 dovecot: imap(mark): Error: Log synchronization
error at seq=2,offset=152 for
/secure/home/mark/Maildir/.Apache.Misc.committers/dovecot.index: Append
with UID 2427206830, but next_uid = 2685375011
Jun 19 17:00:57 server02 dovecot: imap(mark): Warning: fscking index
file /secure/home/mark/Maildir/.Apache.Misc.committers/dovecot.index

I've done some Googling but haven't (yet) found anything that might
match up.

I'm hoping that the above might provide enough information to someone
more familiar with Dovecot than me to suggest what I might be able to do
to fix this. If not, I'll see what happens post Jessie upgrade.

Thanks in advance,

Mark