Large jumps in dovecot-uidlist

Mark dovecot-m at homeinbox.net
Mon Jun 15 17:04:50 UTC 2015

On 15/06/2015 17:46, Felix Zielcke wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 14.06.2015, 10:46 +0100 schrieb Mark:
>> Since upgrading to Debian Wheezy
>> # 2.2.13: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>> # OS: Linux 3.2.0-4-kirkwood armv5tel Debian 7.8
>
> So it's dovecot from the backports.
> Didn't you notice that since about 2 months there's now jessie out?

I did. Based on my previous experience of upgrading Debian as soon as
the new release was announced and having to roll everything back because
of this problem I'm taking a more cautious approach this time.

> That has 2.2.13 too but maybe it's an issue outside of dovecot in some
> library. Or just a bug in the backport.

Possibly. I'm not against doing the full upgrade to Jessie to see what
effect that has. I've been running the backport for a while and the
problem certainly hasn't got worse. I'll see if I can find some time in
the next few days to try the upgrade.

> I have no problem at all with my dovecot under jessie. But it's
> currently only responsible for my own private mails. So it hasn't much
> to do.

This install supports three users who access via IMAP using various
combinations of Thunderbird, Opera Mail, native iPhone client, native
Android client and K9.

It seems to be the case that the mobile clients handle the UID jump
gracefully whereas the desktop clients can't handle the larger UIDs.

> Oh and now by looking again at your full mail: I mainly use IMAP +
> Evolution or on my Android Smartphone K-9 Mail to access them.

Thanks,

Mark