Outlook 2013/2010 nightmare #2

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 00:17:31 UTC 2015

"David.M.Clark" <david at davrom.com> writes:

> So the bottom line for this particular site is:
>
> Set the "Root Folder" for IMAP in outlook to "mail". This is messy from
> my beloved Linux command line perspective in that you end up with
> ${HOME}/login_name/mail/mail. But it does work and stops the Outlook
> crashes.

If "root folder" is Outlook's parlance for IMAP prefix, you might find
it helpful to configure a namespace alias.  For examples, see

 	http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Namespaces
 	(Section Backwards Compatibility: UW-IMAP)

It will map different npamespaces to the same folder so you don't have
this mail/mail/ goofiness.

> If you want to share a single e-mail account across multiple PCs running
> Outlook 2013, you _cannot_ use the "Root Folder" of "mail" as I have
> indicated above. The workaround is to create each subsequent PC with a
> "mail2", "mail3" etc folder (without the quote marks of course). If you
> set up two PCs with the same Root Folder, the new PC crashes out of
> Outlook and eventually so does the original PC. The only way around this
> is to delete the identity and PST files in Outlook and strictly set them
> up again to different "mail" something folders. Almost reminds me of the
> old MS "Share Violation" issue :-)
>
> So after the user is set to the mail2/mail3 folder and it appears under
> the user's original "mail" folder, you then have to blow away the
> mail2/mail3 folder and then do a symbolic link to the mail folder:
>
> ln -s mail mail2

Again, namespace aliases might help: you can configure as many as
you like.  It's a kludge though -- the behaviour you report is really
bizarre.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>