passwd file for quota

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Wed Mar 18 06:17:30 UTC 2015

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015, Cliff Hayes wrote:

> Yes and No.
> It's confusing to me which is why I ask.
> Per my initial email my password source is PAM.
> It's the userdb I'm concerned about ... which dovecot is using /etc/passwd.
> So dovecot is getting user information from passwd file; password information
> from PAM.
> I need to add extra fields for qouta but can't add them to /etc/passwd so I
> have to create a passwd with the extra fields for dovecot to use. How do I
> get dovecot to look at the new file for user info?
>
> I looked at your link and then did a grep on passdb which appears in ...
> auth-checkpassword.conf.ext
> auth-deny.conf.ext
> auth-ldap.conf.ext
> auth-master.conf.ext
> auth-passwdfile.conf.ext
> auth-sql.conf.ext:passdb
> auth-static.conf.ext
> auth-system.conf.ext
> auth-vpopmail.conf.ext:
> I'm guessing I need to look in auth-system.conf.ext since I use system users.
> In there it says ...
> passdb {
>  driver = pam
> ... so I don't think I should change that.

See http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Authentication

Dovecot utilizes separate password and user databases and you can have
multiple of each. That means, too, that the auth-*.ext files are more
samples than fixed configuration options.

You probably have included auth-system.conf.ext by enabling:

10-auth.conf:#!include auth-system.conf.ext
              ^ no # here

in auth-system.conf.ext you'll find the passdb { driver = pam ..}, which
you'll keep unchanged, and a userdb {} section. Comment the current userdb
section, which most probably has driver = /etc/passwd, and add the proper

userdb {
 	driver = passwd-file
}

You could create your own conf file, too.

> On 3/17/2015 2:20 AM, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Mar 2015, Cliff Hayes wrote:
>>
>>> password should be).  I plan to store it in /etc/dovecot
>>> How do I get dovecot to stop looking at /etc/passwd and start looking
>>> at /etc/dovecot/passwd?
>>
>> Do you mean: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/PasswdFile

- --
Steffen Kaiser