quota setup assistance (postfix+dovecot+mysql)

Gedalya gedalya at gedalya.net
Mon Mar 23 22:38:18 UTC 2015

On 03/23/2015 06:24 PM, rooster wrote:
>> On 2015-03-23, at 1:43 AM, Gedalya <gedalya at gedalya.net> wrote:
>>
>> The imap_quota plugin is relevant only under protocol imap {}. It reports quota usage via the IMAP protocol. Under lmtp and any other protocol that can change quota usage, you need to load only the quota plugin, which does the actual work of accounting and enforcing the quota.
>
> 	Thank you for the hint. So what I need to do is remove $mail_plugins from each "mail_plugins =“ (I think the information I found was wrong in using $mail_plugins on each mail_plugins =, based on what you said above)
That idea is to set the global mail_plugins to contain the plugins you
would want enabled in *all* places. If there is not a single such
plugin, then indeed you can set the global mail_plugins to empty, but
then you should still use $mail_plugins everywhere because then it would
just work, should you ever add a plugin to the global list.

>   , and only set the correct corresponding mail plugins? Is my example below, correct?
>
> e.g. :
>
> 	protocol imap {
> 		mail_plugins = zlib quota imap_quota imap_zlib antispam
> 	}
>
> 	protocol lmtp {
> 		mail_plugins = zlib quota
> 	}
>
> 	protocol lda {
> 		mail_plugins =
I don't see why you shouldn't add quota here, and zlib too in your case.
If you don't use lda at all, it still won't hurt.

> 	}
>
> --

Finally, doveadm is sort of a "protocol" too and any protocol for which
you did not specify its own "mail_plugins = ..." will use the global
value itself.
So for example here you explicitly turned off all plugins for lda,
overriding the global value. And doveadm will use the global value. So
just take it all into consideration.