quota setup assistance (postfix+dovecot+mysql)

Gedalya gedalya at gedalya.net
Mon Mar 30 11:24:00 UTC 2015

On 03/30/2015 07:05 AM, rooster wrote:
> 10-mail.conf : mail_plugins = $mail_plugins zlib quota
>
> 15-lda.conf : mail_plugins = $mail_plugins sieve
>
> 20-imap.conf : mail_plugins = $mail_plugins imap_zlib imap_quota antispam
>
> 20-lmtp.conf : mail_plugins = $mail_plugins sieve
>
> 	Am I to remove each $mail_plugins and then explicitly set each mail_plugins = ""? Looking at my doveconf -n file I posted originally, I do see the following :
>
> protocol lmtp {
> 	mail_plugins = " zlib quota imap_zlib imap_quota antispam sieve"
> }
>
> 	And checking the doveconf - n output right now on the server I see the same as above (I was checking in case I had attempted changes since my original post, but nothing has changed).
>
> 	So, either due to a bug or working as intended (or possibly, both), my lmtp protocol section is loading all $mail_plugins.
> 	Is it correct to theorize that if the file 20-lmtp.conf were to be renamed so that it was numbered between 16 and 19, that this $mail_plugins problem would be resolved? Or should I rename 20-imap.conf and 20-pop3.conf (I have not enabled POP3 as of yet), to higher digits (e.g. : 21-imap.conf and 21-pop3.conf)? If renaming the conf files to higher digits will fix this for me, I am inclined to do so to the imap and pop3 conf files.:)
>
> 	If this is a bug, is this the ubuntu package at fault, or something further up the chain?

The order in which the config files are included and parsed ought not to
matter. Dovecot parses the entire config, resulting in what you see in
doveconf -n output, before it does anything. Only the final result applies.

If your config file says:

key = value1
key = value1 value2 (or, key = $key value2 - same thing)

Then key = value1 value2, and that and only that ever matters.

I have a suspicion as to what your issue is.

Here is a clarification. Dovecot has only one single config file - the
result of concatenating all files as included out of the dovecot.conf
file. The names of the individual files in conf.d are technically
meaningless. The config is organized into topics only to make it easier
to humans to find their way around.

The way to apply a setting to a specific component is to put it under a
section such as: protocol imap {}. You've mentioned that you have
different mail_plugins settings in different _files_, but are you sure
they are always inside the protocl xxx {} section?