PublicFolders using Maildir and INDEXPVT in Dovecot v2.2.13

Panayiotis Fafakos pfaf at wisdomsoftware.net
Mon May 4 22:17:46 UTC 2015

Dear all,

we have succesfully configured Dovecot v2.2.13 in debian wheezy 7.8
(using backports)
using Maildir structure, to use private index files for the \Seen flag
on a per user basis.

All users access their emails and Public Folders using IMAP protocol.

The problem is that when a user moves an email from publicFolderA to
publicFolderB under the same namespace
the other users see this message as unread, although they have actually
read it when it was in publicFolderA.

Please note that this is an old message which has been moved , it was
not copied, so the actual UID should be the same...

Is there a way to keep the \Seen flag for the messages that are moved
from folder to folder?

Is there a way to keep the \Seen flag in a database, so that we can
ignore the folder structure and only check the message UIDs? We could
use MySQL, PgSQL or even SQLite...

Below follows the Public-Folder namespace declaration:
   type = public
}

With the above system configuration we have the complete folder
structure under ~/Maildir/public/%u, and many log files, one for each
folder a user has accessed.
Could we only have one index file for each user for all the public
folder structure under the same namespace?

Kind regards to all,
Panayiotis Fafakos