v2.2.17 release candidate released

Chris Ross cross+dovecot at distal.com
Sun May 10 00:59:35 UTC 2015

On May 9, 2015, at 19:13 , Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>> 2.2.17.rc1 will compile on FBSD 10.1 only, if bash has been installed (see
>> <554773D2.9060609 at dovecot.fi> from Teemu Huovila).[...]. But, maybe it's worth
>> solving this issue for those non-linux systems without bash installed per
>> default before releasing dovecot v2.2.17, finally.
>>
>> Besides that: Thanks for all of you involved making dovecot available!
>
> For what its worth, I run FreeBSD 10.1 and I have Bash. Personally, I could
> not work without it. It is not a big deal to install it on FreeBSD. My
> question is does it have to be the default shell in dovecot v2.2.17 or just
> installed?

  I run FreeBSD 9, 10, and 10.1.  And I don't have bash installed except on the
one system I use to build lots of ports.  Because, there are other ports that
also presume the availability of bash, and therefore require it.  I'd much rather
be able to build dovecot without bash, because I don't have bash installed on
my FreeBSD 10.1 mail server, where I run dovecot.

  I'd also be willing to help by porting any of the scripts that require bash to
something else that is available in the base installation of FreeBSD as well
as the variety of Linux distributions.

  I agree that it's not hard to install the bash port.  But if you don't plan to use
it for anything else, it's better not to have to.

                            - Chris