Questions about hardlinks, alternate storage and compression]

Gionatan Danti g.danti at assyoma.it
Mon Nov 30 08:21:51 UTC 2015

Hi all,
I have some updates on the hard-link discussion.

First, let me explain that I installed a test machine with CentOS 7.1
and dovecot/pigeonhole version 2.2.10-4 and the results where identical
on what I had on CentOS 6.7 and dovecot 2.0.9-19

The bottom line is that hardlinking works only when no, or at most only
one, RCPT have sieve filtering. For example:
- if no RCPT has sieve filters, hardlink is OK
- if only one RCPT has sieve filters, hardlink is OK
- if two or more RCPTs have sieve filters, hardlink is NOT working.

Some time ago I reported that, when disabling the sieve_before and
sieve_after options, hardlinks worked; however, this really was a side
effect of what written above.

So, let me do a straigth question: is someone using dovecot/LMTP with
hardlinking? To me, this seems a _very_ important feature, and I wonder
if I am doing something wrong or if the feature (hardlink+sieve) simply
does not exists.

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan