Hibernation disabled when mailbox selected

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 04:02:39 UTC 2015

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015, Timo Sirainen wrote:

>> After setting imap_hibernate_timeout to 60s, I could not find any
>> hibernated connections after a few hours.  I tested hibernation and made
>> an observation: IDLE'd imap sessions only hibernate if they don't have
>> a mailbox SELECT'd, otherwise they never hibernate.
>>
>> Is this the way it's supposed to work?
>
> What client is that?

That would be "openssl s_client".  I do not recommend this as your regular
mail reader -- the user interface sucks.

> IDLE doesn't really make much sense when a mailbox isn't SELECTed, so I
> expected that all the clients would have something SELECTed..  But
> yeah, the code could be changed to support that.

If hibernate only works when a mailbox is not selected, and all IMAP
client connections select a mailbox, then yeah, hibernate wouldn't be
a very useful feature.  I would guess that most of the imap processes
running in most installation are in IDLE state with s SELECTed mailbox,
so extending hibernate to work with these connections these would
more useful.

Couldn't a small pool of imap-hibernate processes hold on to all these
hibernated connections for maximal memory conservation, or would that
break the security model dovecot uses?

Anyways, thanks for clearing up my confusion.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>