Hibernation disabled when mailbox selected

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Oct 19 09:58:12 UTC 2015

> On 18 Oct 2015, at 20:25, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>
> On 18 Oct 2015, at 05:20, Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> After setting imap_hibernate_timeout to 60s, I could not find any
>> hibernated connections after a few hours.  I tested hibernation and made
>> an observation: IDLE'd imap sessions only hibernate if they don't have
>> a mailbox SELECT'd, otherwise they never hibernate.
>>
>> Is this the way it's supposed to work?
>
> What client is that? IDLE doesn't really make much sense when a mailbox isn't SELECTed, so I expected that all the clients would have something SELECTed.. But yeah, the code could be changed to support that.

Actually, it already works, so your problem is something different. Set mail_debug=yes and it'll log the reason why hiberation couldn't be done.

I've heard that some clients issue STATUS commands periodically and that causes them not to be hibernated. This is something that probably needs to be implemented by imap-hibernate at some point.