How to "Windows Authenticate"

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Wed Sep 16 21:44:24 UTC 2015

Love your "ASCII Ribbon Campaign" signature! I still use mailx myself.

I'll have to check out that "access denied" message for the email to
mfoley at ohprs.org. I haven't seen that before. FreeBSD.org is not blocked in my
access.db. Hmmm ...

Anyway, yes, I've been through those instructions over and over and they
certainly do "suggest" it should work, but I haven't yet found anyone that has
actually got it working. I assume you have not either, right?

The platform these instructions are targeted to are not quite my setup as the
Dovecot host is also the AD/DC using Samba4, so the DC/join instructions don't
apply, nor does the Kerberos: "Please note that you do not need to install or
configure any other Kerberos KDC for Samba to work.  Samba includes a
AD-compatible KDC, currently based on an included copy of the Heimdal project."

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setup_a_Samba_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Testing_Kerberos

Also, the instruction in the link you reference must be a bit out of date
because the suggested userdb:

userdb static {
   args= uid=501 gid=501 home=/home/vmail/%1Ln/%Ln
   mail=maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%1Ln/%Ln:INBOX=/home/vmail/%d/%1Ln/%Ln
   allow_all_users=yes
}

gives an error with my dovecot 2.2.15. The word "static" has to go inside the
curly-braces as "driver static" and the "allow_all_users" has to be added to the
'args' string. Otherwise, Dovecot won't run the config as shown in the link.

Otherwise and with the above changes to the userdb, I believe I've followed all
applicable instructions in that link.  The error I get with my config in the
Dovecot log is:

Sep 13 00:53:12 auth: Debug: Loading modules from directory: /usr/local/lib/dovecot/auth
Sep 13 00:53:12 imap-login: Info: Disconnected: Auth process broken (disconnected before auth was ready, waited 0 secs): user=<>, rip=192.168.0.58, lip=98.102.63.107, session=<2PnkuZkfqADAqAA6>

Any idea what would generate this message?

--Mark