"Lost" e-mail after alternate partition offline

Daniel van Ham Colchete daniel.colchete at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 18:15:09 UTC 2016

Hey guys!

I've got a problem here and I wish you could help me. A drive failed here
and went offline for some time. This was a alternate storage drive so it
took a while (hours) for us to notice. There was a problem with DRBD also,
so it didn't move to the redundancy, it just went offline.

I was able to recover all the files there, but a few of my users still
don't see their old e-mails, the ones that are supposed to be on the
alternate storage.

>From what I could troubleshoot here file are there, vmail user can access
them, so it's not a permission issue, but a doveadm dump on the index file
of each mail folder, won't show the e-mail at the alternate storage drive.

So, they are there (at the filesystem), but they aren't (from a imap
client).

Is there a way to rebuild the dovecot.index file, re-adding everything back
to each folder?

Best,
Daniel Colchete