doveadm acl set negative rights not supported?

Peter Benko pbopbo at freemail.hu
Tue Dec 20 14:20:13 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Although noone answered, I figured out how to set negative rights via doveadm. You should not prefix the username with '-' (as you should do in a normal IMAP setacl command). Instead you should specify the *rights* starting with a '-'. There are two problems with this:

1. The '-username' version runs smoothly and does not throw any errors. However, it does *not* set negative rights. It adds a useless entry for a user named '-username'

2. If you try to specify the rights with a '-', such as '-writeseen', doveadm throws an error like this:
set: invalid option -- 'w'

So the solution is to add '--' to the command line signaling the end of the options:

sudo -u vmail doveadm acl set -u user at domain -- "Spam" user=user at domain -write-seen

Regards,

Peter