Redundant and Geobalancing setup

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Sat Feb 13 21:05:10 UTC 2016

Am 13.02.2016 um 04:00 schrieb Cedric Malitte:
> Hi,
>
> I use dovecot for a long time now, but only as a single isolated server
> each time.
>
> I joined a company a few years back. We had trouble with compagnies hosting
> our mail, supposedly full redundant and so on.
>
> The company is small, but we have many dealers around the world, and it's
> growing.
>
> Mail became the fist choice for clients to contact the dealers.
> No mail, and we loose sales.
>
> For now we have a single server ( with a backup ) on east coast.
> And sometimes peoples from EU complain about speed.... ah users :)
>
> What I'd like to implement is a redundant system with 2 servers, one in NA,
> one in EU.
> And I'd also like to be able to add another server if needed on the west
> coast.
>
> Idea is, that if a server goes down, the users will be able to still
> receive and send mails, and never loose mails.
>
> For geobalacing and failover, I read that I can do it with DNS ( I'm with
> easydns ).
>
> I'm at the first stage where I collect informations that I try to
> understand and foresee a solution.
>
> First idea is to set up servers with a mysql master, slaves and a glusterfs
> in replica mode on the servers.
> I tried glusterfs on FreeBSD and OMG, it's slow as hell ! ( well maybe it's
> a trouble on the VMs nics )
> On centos it's way better.
> But I read there might be trouble/index corruption for the mail storage on
> "shared" space using maildir.
>
> I also had a look at dsync, but I wonder if it can be used on more than 2
> servers.
>
> I found many pages on dovecot clusters using shared storage NFS mounted,
> but I feel it's not really what I need as the servers will be in different
> datacenters.
>
> So any guide, clue hint would be really appreciated for me to do my
> homework !
>
> Regards.
>
> Cedric

complicated and expensive for a small company
why not have one imap server in US and the other in EU
so US Users should have their Mailboxes on the US Server
EU users should have their Mailboxes on the EU Server

Smtp you might manage via smtp routing, perhaps with subdomains us eu
and aliasing

Or you might take some paid service which has geo stuff allready up and
and running, dont try or think of doing it yourself, unlees youre a guru

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG