Redundant and Geobalancing setup

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Sun Feb 14 06:39:35 UTC 2016

Am 14.02.2016 um 07:15 schrieb Cedric Malitte:
> Thanks Robert,
>
> Having 2 separate servers would mean domain splitting in a way.
> So I'll have to dispatch incoming mail, and maintain 2 or more users
> databases.
> Well I could only maintain one, and let the DB replicate itself to other
> servers and only grab the users they are allowed to.
>
> We have many domain aliases for many countries and a dozen users traveling
> around the globe.
> So geo balacing would not be the best for them.

hm...
you could do some dns setup which gives differ results
for your mail servers depending to the clients source ip

> But the redundancy is missing.... if one server goes down, I loose a bunch
> of users and that's not what I am looking for.

yes storage and balancing is the problem, there are differ ways to solve it

> I looked for providers offering that, but I guess my bosses would not let
> me spend over 3000$ per month on that.
> Else I would already have the mails hosted by microsoft and have a cocktail
> on the beach :)

a selfdone setup will not be cheap too

> I'm not any kind of guru, I do not have any disciples.
> I did kernel mod development on embedded systems with freebsd 4 and 5, I
> still develop some linux kernel drivers for proprietary systems from time
> to time.
> My main degree is electronic engineering and I also graduated in computing
> related to management in other words I learned a bit of everything to be
> able to manage teams developers and understand what they do.

what i mean is experts in mail setups not your degree

> Looks like it's doable, so I'll continue to dig and experiment.

of course it can be done ,but i think you will have a hard time unless
you get help from people with experience in that

> [...]
>>> each time.
>>>
>>> I joined a company a few years back. We had trouble with compagnies
>> hosting
>>> our mail, supposedly full redundant and so on.
>>>
>>> The company is small, but we have many dealers around the world, and it's
>>> growing.
>>>
>>> Mail became the fist choice for clients to contact the dealers.
>>> No mail, and we loose sales.
>>>
>>> For now we have a single server ( with a backup ) on east coast.
>>> And sometimes peoples from EU complain about speed.... ah users :)
>>>
>>> What I'd like to implement is a redundant system with 2 servers, one in
>> NA,
>>> one in EU.
>>> And I'd also like to be able to add another server if needed on the west
>>> coast.
>>>
>>> Idea is, that if a server goes down, the users will be able to still
>>> receive and send mails, and never loose mails.
>>>
>>> For geobalacing and failover, I read that I can do it with DNS ( I'm with
>>> easydns ).
>>>
>>> I'm at the first stage where I collect informations that I try to
>>> understand and foresee a solution.
>>>
>>> First idea is to set up servers with a mysql master, slaves and a
>> glusterfs
>>> in replica mode on the servers.
>>> I tried glusterfs on FreeBSD and OMG, it's slow as hell ! ( well maybe
>> it's
>>> a trouble on the VMs nics )
>>> On centos it's way better.
>>> But I read there might be trouble/index corruption for the mail storage
>> on
>>> "shared" space using maildir.
>>>
>>> I also had a look at dsync, but I wonder if it can be used on more than 2
>>> servers.
>>>
>>> I found many pages on dovecot clusters using shared storage NFS mounted,
>>> but I feel it's not really what I need as the servers will be in
>> different
>>> datacenters.
>>>
>>> So any guide, clue hint would be really appreciated for me to do my
>>> homework !
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>>
>>> Cedric
>>>

>> complicated and expensive for a small company
>> why not have one imap server in US and the other in EU
>> so US Users should have their Mailboxes on the US Server
>> EU users should have their Mailboxes on the EU Server
>>
>> Smtp you might manage via smtp routing, perhaps with subdomains us eu
>> and aliasing
>>
>> Or you might take some paid service which has geo stuff allready up and
>> and running, dont try or think of doing it yourself, unlees youre a guru
>>
>> Best Regards
>> MfG Robert Schetterer
>>
>> --
>> [*] sys4 AG
>>
>> http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
>> Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München
>>
>> Sitz der Gesellschaft: München, Amtsgericht München: HRB 199263
>> Vorstand: Patrick Ben Koetter, Marc Schiffbauer
>> Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Florian Kirstein

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer