Inconsistent mdbox index while running doveadm altmove

Ricardo Machini Barbosa ricardomachini at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 21:31:54 UTC 2016

Hello,

I was performing doveadm altmove for one account while this mailbox was
being accessed.

Dovecot version: 2.2.21

Mailbox format: mdbox

Command:

doveadm altmove -u user1 at domain.com.br before 360d

This command took about 5 minutes to finish and during the execution I found
some log messages:

Feb 25 19:57:51 dovecot: imap(user1 at domain.com.br): Error: mdbox map
/var/mail/user1/mdbox/storage/dovecot.map.index corrupted: Unexpectedly lost
INBOX uid=77 map_uid=76

Feb 25 19:57:51 dovecot: imap(user1 at domain.com.br): Internal error occurred.
Refer to server log for more information. [2016-02-25 19:57:51] in=4798
out=1361819 deleted=0 expunged=0 trashed=0

Feb 25 19:57:51 dovecot: imap(user1 at domain.com.br): Warning: fscking index
file /var/mail/user1/mdbox/storage/dovecot.map.index

Feb 25 19:58:15 dovecot: imap(user1 at domain.com.br): Error:
/var/mail/user1/mdbox/mailboxes/INBOX/dbox-Mails/dovecot.index reset, view
is now inconsistent

Feb 25 19:58:20 dovecot: imap(user1 at domain.com.br): Error:
/var/mail/user1/mdbox/mailboxes/Rascunhos/dbox-Mails/dovecot.index reset,
view is now inconsistent

After that these messages moved to alternate storage disappeared from the
mailbox/IMAP but these files were all on alternative storage.

I had to execute doveadm force-resync -u user1 at domain.com.br INBOX to
recovery this mailbox, but losing all e-mail's flags.

I should do some kind of lock before running the command altmove ?

Regards,

Ricardo