Mapping of INBOX.INBOX breaks imapc_list_prefix=INBOX?

Peer Heinlein p.heinlein at heinlein-support.de
Wed Jan 6 22:28:10 UTC 2016

Am 06.01.2016 um 22:03 schrieb Timo Sirainen:

Hi Timo,

thanks for your fast reply.

>> It's not really a "hidden feature", but more likely a consequence
>> of the INBOX. prefix being added/removed from folder names. I'd
>> need to look into it more carefully to see if it's possible to fix
>> easily or not, but I have a feeling it may not be easy. INBOX.INBOX
>> has caused troubles many times earlier..

Yes, I know that problems and I had them already many times (and learned
how to avoid them). That's why I had the idea that there could be such a
mapping and totally understand why it could be interesting to have this.

But doveadm isn't allowed to be confused by that mapping.

>> One solution that should
>> work is that for dsync runs you'd simply remove the INBOX. prefix
>> from both the namespace and the imapc_list_prefix.

I already tried this before, but I wouldn't be happy with that. We have
two months migration time with a live migration and I do not want to
offer a non-prefixed namespace to migrated users. I wouldn't be able to
switch back to a prefixed namespace without all that huge problems
caused by namespace changes.

AND: After adding the Prefix again I would have to fix subscriptions and
I do have the risk that several hundred thousand users would try to
refresh their local IMAP-cache simultaneously and would reload 25 TB
data simultaneously. I can not accept that risk. :-)

> Or actually that would just add INBOX. prefix to everything. Maybe
> removing either namespace prefix or imapc_list_prefix would work?

No.

But, anyway: Once you have approved that there IS and should be that
kind of mapping and that THIS IS the reason of my problems, we know that
we have to look (just) for users with folders named INBOX.INBOX and
we'll find workarounds and scripts to handle them.

I think we easily rename that folders to INBOX.INBOX2 and everything
will work fine.

There's no need for you to provide a fast fix just for us if the
solution is not that easy. I just tried to confirm that bug AND to make
sure that this is not just a stupid mistake by me.

Right at the moment we're running a find script to analyse how many
users do have that double-INBOX-folder names. I don't expect that there
will be too many users.

The only thing I still wonder is WHY the comparisation is done case
insensitive. The source folder is named "INBOX.Inbox" and it's mixed
with INBOX. As far as I experienced there's no need to expect anything
else but INBOX after a namespace change. But maybe you have other
experiences here. So there's no need for a discussion and no need to
waste time.

Peer

--
Heinlein Support GmbH
Schwedter Str. 8/9b, 10119 Berlin

http://www.heinlein-support.de

Tel: 030 / 405051-42
Fax: 030 / 405051-19

Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG: HRB 93818 B / Amtsgericht
Berlin-Charlottenburg,