Problems with doveadm backup in a dovecot director environment

Tobi tobster at brain-force.ch
Tue Jan 12 09:22:47 UTC 2016

Hi list

I have configured my dovecot(s) in a frontend-backend setup using the
director feature of dovecot. Works like charm, but I'm currently unable
to use doveadm backup to "sync" the mailbox to a dovecot system which is
not within director_mail_servers settings
Before I added the director feature I could fire a simple

doveadm backup -u myuser at mydomain.tld tcps:otherserver.mydomain.tld:2424

After activating the director the command above fails as the connection
is always tried to be established to one of the servers specified in
director_mail_servers.
Is it possible to use doveadm backup towards a server which is not in
director_mail_servers?
I tried with the -o option of doveadm to override several settings like
host or director_mail_servers but no success: the command still tries to
connect to an ip from director_mail_servers and not to the destination
given as parameter to the command.
Is there anyway to achieve that?
Thanks a lot for any help

tobi