Temporary Lookup Failure

Christian Kivalo ml+dovecot at valo.at
Sun Jan 17 20:22:55 UTC 2016

On 2016-01-17 20:24, Brad wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Have a CentOS 7, dovecot and postfix setup.
>
> Can get mail via 995 SSL/TLS
Accessing your mails with a MUA like thunderbird works and you can login
to your imap account?

> Can send mail to virtual users and auto creation works using
> /etc/dovecot/passwd file via mail command.
>
> Using the dovecot lmtp and can login via 465 but the user lookup fails
> via postfix.
You can send email with thunderbird using port 465 (smtps) to other
users on your server?
LMTP ist used for the delivery of your mails from postfix to dovecot.
Is postfix configured to use sasl auth?

> in postfix main.cf have virtual_transport =
> lmtp:unix:private/dovecot-lmtp
Looks good. is dovecot configured to create a socket there? See
10-master.conf the "service lmtp" block

> in dovecot.log I am seeing no errors
> in dovecot-info.log no errors either
>
> in maillog I am seeing:
> postfix/smtps/smtpd warning hash:/etc/postfix/virtual is unavailable
> open database /etc/postfix/virtual.db No such file.
That is postfix. Does /etc/postfix/virtual.db exist?
> Note: I did go through creating the virtual.db and associated files
> but figured that it cant be correct as I want lmtp to handle it and it
> didn't work anyways, so I removed it.
Have you created /etc/postfix/virtual and postmapped that file to create
the /etc/postfix/virtual.db file?

> NOQUEUE reject RCPT from unknown[x.x.x.x] 451 4.3.0 <user at domain>
> Temporary lookup failure from=<user at domain> to=<user at domain>
> proto=ESMTP helo=<localhost.localdomain> -- obfuscated
This is postfix. Please include the full logline no only the message.
Be consistent when you obfuscate, use different replacements for
different email addresses.

> Tried every article I could find on the Internet to resolve this with
> out much luck.

Please provide configs.

--
Christian