Temporary Lookup Failure

Brad bradzynda42 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 17 22:53:35 UTC 2016

Hi Christian, Noel and Skeeved,

Found the offending postfix -o virtual map in master.cf and removed it.

Re-tested email and new error but the warning for the virtual is gone:

Sender address rejected not owned by user

NOQUEUE reject RCPT from unknown[10.10.1.102] 553 5.7.1
<steve at samedomain.com>
sender address rejected: not owned by user steve;
from=<steve at samedomain.com> to=<steve at samedomain.com>
proto=ESMTP helo=<localhost.localdomain>

Answering the rest inline

Thanks for everyones help,
Brad

On 01/17/2016 03:22 PM, Christian Kivalo wrote:
> On 2016-01-17 20:24, Brad wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Have a CentOS 7, dovecot and postfix setup.
>>
>> Can get mail via 995 SSL/TLS
> Accessing your mails with a MUA like thunderbird works and you can
> login to your imap account?
Correct from Thunderbird no auth issues or errors.

>> Can send mail to virtual users and auto creation works using
>> /etc/dovecot/passwd file via mail command.
>>
>> Using the dovecot lmtp and can login via 465 but the user lookup fails
>> via postfix.
> You can send email with thunderbird using port 465 (smtps) to other
> users on your server?
> LMTP ist used for the delivery of your mails from postfix to dovecot.
> Is postfix configured to use sasl auth?
No I can not send emails to other users I get the same similar error
that the user "Sender address rejected: not owned by user <user> Please
check the message recipient and try again."

Not sure if LMTP is used when calling mail command from the local mail
server but that appears to work only, not from the MUA.

Yes postfix is setup to use sasl auth and TLS. I would like to have all
of them setup and ready and limit as needed via the firewall.

>> in postfix main.cf have virtual_transport =
>> lmtp:unix:private/dovecot-lmtp
> Looks good. is dovecot configured to create a socket there? See
> 10-master.conf the "service lmtp" block
service lmtp {
unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/dovecot-lmtp {
   group = postfix
   mode = 0666
   user = postfix
}
}
everything else is commented out inside the block

>> in dovecot.log I am seeing no errors
>> in dovecot-info.log no errors either
>>
>> in maillog I am seeing:
>> postfix/smtps/smtpd warning hash:/etc/postfix/virtual is unavailable
>> open database /etc/postfix/virtual.db No such file.
> That is postfix. Does /etc/postfix/virtual.db exist?
ended up being a -o rule that slipped by in master.cf
>> Note: I did go through creating the virtual.db and associated files
>> but figured that it cant be correct as I want lmtp to handle it and it
>> didn't work anyways, so I removed it.
> Have you created /etc/postfix/virtual and postmapped that file to
> create the /etc/postfix/virtual.db file?
I did go through that process but was still getting at that time the
Temporary lookup errors. Should I re-create these?

>> NOQUEUE reject RCPT from unknown[x.x.x.x] 451 4.3.0 <user at domain>
>> Temporary lookup failure from=<user at domain> to=<user at domain>
>> proto=ESMTP helo=<localhost.localdomain> -- obfuscated
> This is postfix. Please include the full logline no only the message.
> Be consistent when you obfuscate, use different replacements for
> different email addresses.
>
>> Tried every article I could find on the Internet to resolve this with
>> out much luck.
>
> Please provide configs.
Would you like a postconf -n or all the individual files for postfix and
dovecot?