FW: quota-status service

aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi aki.tuomi at dovecot.fi
Sun Jul 3 16:08:51 UTC 2016

> On July 3, 2016 at 6:41 PM Michael Fox <news at mefox.org> wrote:
>

> Aki:  Over the last three days, I've watched many other questions being asked and answered.  Were they also impolite to ask?

No. But someone knew what to answer to them, you keep spamming the mailing list with repeated '???' instead of waiting, which *is* impolite. Someone WILL answer you when they have time to study your question and prepare an answer. As I said, if you think you should be entitled to timely responses, please consider purchasing a support agreement, so you can have an SLA. Support provided over mailing list is pro bono publico and no one gets paid doing it for you.

Anyways, here are *some* answers to your questions:

1. Quota status comes with dovecot-core, on my server (debian) it is in

~$ ls -lah /usr/lib/dovecot/quota-status
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 84K May 27 12:35 /usr/lib/dovecot/quota-status

Did you look there?

You also are going to need to use 'mail_plugins = $mail_plugins quota'. See quota configuration in dovecot wiki. (http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Quota)

2. It has no man page because it is not intended to be ran at command line, but -p means protocol. It should match your MTA/MX. Such as postfix, which at the moment is the only supported one.

3. Port you can choose freely, it is used by postfix to check the delivery possiblity before actually doing it. This is the statement in smtpd_recipient_restrictions,

check_policy_service inet:mailstore.example.com:12340

replace mailstore.example.com with localhost or your dovecot hostname. And port with what you choose.

4. The various responses are what your MTA/MX expects. Looking at postfix manual (http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_POLICY_README.html#protocol) you can see that "The "DUNNO" action causes Postfix to ignore the result."

You can look at the postfix manual for various acceptable answers, but the one indicated in the configuration example probably works best.

5. quota_status_*

quota_status_success, default response is OK
quota_status_toolarge
quota_status_overquota

toolarge and overquota default to "554 5.2.2 <error message>".

quota_status_nouser, default response is "REJECT Unknown user"

These are sent verbatim to your MTA/MX; refer to it's documentation for allowed responses.

---
Aki Tuomi
Dovecot oy