Moving Maildir folders

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Sat Jul 16 05:43:35 UTC 2016

Our office had a user leave.  Another user is taking over her duties and needs reference to the
departing user's email.  I've copied that entire departed user's Maildir structure to the current
user:

mv olduser/Maildir/.* curuser/Maildir/.olduser

I did change permission and ownership on curuser/Maildir/.olduser to be the target user. I did
not bring over the olduser/Maildir/dovecot* files (indexes, subscriptions, etc.) as I thought
that would be bad.

Nevertheless, the curuser cannot see this new olduser folder (which should be at the same level
as Inbox, Junk Mail, etc.).  I did manually add olduser to the curuser/Maildir/subscriptions
file, but still nothing.

So, what did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

THX -- Mark