Moving Maildir folders

Luigi Rosa lists at luigirosa.com
Sat Jul 16 06:53:27 UTC 2016

Mark Foley wrote on 16/07/2016 07:43:
> Our office had a user leave.  Another user is taking over her duties and needs reference to the
> departing user's email.  I've copied that entire departed user's Maildir structure to the current
> user:
>
> mv olduser/Maildir/.* curuser/Maildir/.olduser
>
> I did change permission and ownership on curuser/Maildir/.olduser to be the target user. I did
> not bring over the olduser/Maildir/dovecot* files (indexes, subscriptions, etc.) as I thought
> that would be bad.

Maildir has no nested folders.

If you want a subtree structure in maildir you must create each folder at the
first level

in the new user you must have something like:

.olduser.INBOX
.olduser.Sent
.olduser.Trash
.olduser.Drafts
.olduser.whatever

Each directory with tmp, newm cur subdirs only (ad dovecot files, of course)

--

Ciao,
luigi

/