Moving Maildir folders

Mark Foley mfoley at ohprs.org
Sun Jul 17 22:56:06 UTC 2016

On Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 12:24:04 +0200 Luigi Rosa <lists at luigirosa.com> wrote:

> Peter Chiochetti wrote on 17/07/2016 11:01:
>
> > With Maildir and path separator "." one can have incomplete paths: eg.
> > bpatterson.INBOX.2011 will say that there is 2011 within INBOX within bpatterson
> > -- while it is possible, that both bpatterson and bpatterson.INBOX do not exist!
> > Thunderbird will render the missing folders gray in the UI, you probably cannot
> > subscribe to those, even from the subscribe dialogue. You should be able to
> > create them though.
>
> That is correct.
>
> If you want to create the "path" Somename/Foo/Bar/Baz (as seen by the IMAP
> client), even if only Somename and Baz contains messages, you must have the
> entire "path", that is tour mailbox directory must contain the directories:
>
> .Somename
> .Somename.Foo
> .Somename.Foo.Bar
> .Somename.Foo.Bar.Baz
>
> Of course each of the directories will contain cur, tmp, new and Dovecot files
>
> Ciao,
> luigi

That was probably my problem. While I moved the entire Maildir structure from the old user's
Maildir hierarchy, I just created

.bpatterson.Foo.Bar/
.bpatterson.Foo.raB/
etc

I never did create

.bpatterson/
.bpatterson.Foo/

etc.

Good to know. I'll sort that out better next time. Meanwhile, before reading this message, I
created a new folder in Tbird, then dragged the folders out of the .bpatterson hierarchy to the
new folder. That worked, but was a bit time consuming.

I supposed I was thrown off because the destination user's Maildir has no .INBOX/ directory, only:

.INBOX.this/
.INBOX.that/

but, I suppose INBOX is a special case since the rest of the top-level folders (Drafts,
Templates, Sent Items, ...) do have directories. Next time!

Thanks --Mark