tlsv1 alert unknown ca: SSL alert number 48

Gedalya gedalya at gedalya.net
Wed Jun 15 21:48:32 UTC 2016

On 06/15/2016 04:26 PM, Maurizio Dall'Acqua wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have set up a mail server with postfix+dovecot 2.2.13 on my raspberry pi
> running Raspbian Jassie OS.
>
> Now I would like to add an on-line e-mail client like Squirrelmail or
> Roundcube. I was able to start up these two clients but when I try to login
> I get this error message in the dovecot log:
>
> tlsv1 alert unknown ca: SSL alert number 48
>
> But I have inserted the self-signed certificate and key in
> /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-master.conf
>
> Moreover, I can send and receive e-mails from/to my server, and I can login
> successfully to dovecot IMAP with Thunderbird.
>
> Can somebody give me a clue on how to solve this problem? Any help would me much
> appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Maurizio

This could mean that the client has indicated it was unable to verify the server's certificate.

With regards to Roundcube, see this in config/defaults.inc.php:

//$config['imap_conn_options'] = array(
//  'ssl'         => array(
//     'verify_peer'  => true,
//     'verify_depth' => 3,
//     'cafile'       => '/etc/openssl/certs/ca.crt',
//   ),
// );