tlsv1 alert unknown ca: SSL alert number 48

Dr. Matthias Sitte matthias at familie-sitte.org
Thu Jun 16 19:55:57 UTC 2016

I recently came across the same problem after upgrading Debian. Under
Wheezy Roundcube was working fine, but under Jessie I had to tweak it a
bit.

The error you describe below is probably related to the fact that you
"just uncommented" the values, telling Roundcube to use
'/etc/openssl/certs/ca.crt' as CA file which, I guess, doesn't exist on
your server. Try the following settings instead:

$config['imap_conn_options'] = array(
  'ssl'         => array(
      'verify_peer'       => false,
      'verfify_peer_name' => false,
   ),
);

If Roundcube refuses to send mail, then add the following settings, too:

$config['smtp_conn_options'] = array(
   'ssl'         => array(
       'verify_peer'      => false,
       'verify_peer_name' => false,