dsync issues due to Prefix difference?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Mar 1 22:20:58 UTC 2016

On 02 Feb 2016, at 17:04, Mark Little <marklittle at koallo.com> wrote:

> On 2016-02-02 07:22, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>>> On 01 Feb 2016, at 23:39, Mark Little <marklittle at koallo.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Timo,
>>> Thank you very much for the information.  I had seen the DSync page but I was confused as to how to configure it.  I'd definitely love to be able to get the proper dsync migration working as I have some clients who use POP3 and others who use IMAP and I want to make this seamless for all if possible.
>>> Could you please elaborate on how I specify the alternate dovecot.conf?  I've gone through the man pages and I don't see anything referencing -c for doveadm?  Or do you mean that I should be running the full dovecot server process from the source server with an alternate configuration?
>> -c is a global option for all dovecot binaries, including doveadm. I
>> guess all the global options should be included in all the man pages..
>
> Ok great.  I will try that out.  So you are saying I could run the daemon on a source server specifying to use a different config with the namespace matching the other, and then when dsync connects it will see the namespaces as the same?

I think my idea was that you keep the source server configuration as it is. The in destination server you have a dovecot-dsync.conf which is same as the regular dovecot.conf except you change the namespace prefix. Then run doveadm -c dovecot-dsync.conf sync ..

>>> If I change the name space won't it fail to find the local folders in their mailbox?
>> I'm not sure what you mean here. It's possible to switch between
>> namespaces on the fly without losing anything (besides clients seeing
>> them differently).
>
> Ok.  I am just realizing that I am probably unable to have a transparent migration for IMAP, right?  Seeing as my destination is using a different Prefix, that means some IMAP clients will not see their migrated folders by default unless they update their configuration.

Right.

> I am mainly concerned about POP3 I guess, because if IMAP has to re-download it's not as big of a deal because everything is already marked as read.. but re-downloading POP3 doesn't work the same.
>
> I tried following the dsync page but I cannot get it working.  Do I just have to include the POP3 configuration examples, or the IMAP too?  Do I need to use 'pop3c:' at the end of the line instead of imapc: (eg: 'doveadm -R -u user at domain pop3c:') to signify it needs to preserve the UIDL's?

No. The dsync migration page should be correct.

> Do I need to add the same settings to the source as well as destination? or just one side?  I tried yesterday but then ended up breaking Dovecot on my destination server.  After I added the pop3-migration namespace part to the namespace section, all users were failing with: 'Error: User initialization failed: namespace configuration error: list=yes namespace missing'

This looks as if the only namespace you had was the pop3-migration, and you're missing the inbox namespace? I added it now to the wiki example also.