dovecot local indexes and multiple servers

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Mar 1 22:27:57 UTC 2016

On 22 Feb 2016, at 14:47, alex <alex.dovecot at kerkhove.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been testing mdbox with local indexes on our nfs based directors +
> multiple imap/lda/pop3 server setup. The performance is noticeably
> better than maildir with indexes on nfs, so I'd like to make this work.
>
> About the possible direction to other servers the wiki says that it will
> create a new index 'on the fly'. That is true, but after the index is
> recreated, Thunderbird (imap) re-downloads all the messages and sees all
> those messages as unread again!

dbox format requires permanent indexes, so you must store them on NFS also. Only mbox and Maildir formats can recreate indexes on the fly without losing information. Is there still some documentation that talks about indexes being able to be recreated from scratch, without mentioning dbox? I tried quickly finding from wiki, but I only found the NFS page mentioning it and it specifically said mbox/Maildir. I added "(but not dbox!)" as clarification. Anywhere else?..