NetApp NFS vs. ZFS and NFS for Maildir

James lista at xdrv.co.uk
Sun Mar 13 09:44:39 UTC 2016

On 11/03/2016 14:58, Juan Bernhard wrote:

>> Someone has experiences with ZFS and NFS(v3) in high load environments?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Be careful to no do any synchronous writes under ZFS.

By default all NFS writes are synchronous but I assume dovcot sync
writes all data anyway so in this case the NFS sync doesn't matter.

> Every sync write can take up to 3 seconds of latency (under freebsd,
> I didnt test ZFS in linux).

sync writes should take a few ms (they do for me). If you have enough
load for them to be a problem you should have enough revenue to afford
an SSD as a ZFS write cache / SLOG and then they will no longer be a
problem.