NetApp NFS vs. ZFS and NFS for Maildir

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat Mar 26 03:30:03 UTC 2016

It seems its troll time again on this list, ohh maybe its Harry in
disguise... So I will play along, for today anyway :)

On 19/03/2016 18:11, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 17:37:04 +1000
> Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:

>> > Maybe you're doing something wrong then. because in my last 21 years
>> > working
>> > exactly in this business I've not seen a single deadly fs-crash because
>> > of a
>> > power-outage. Not one. And we had of course several, all backed by UPS.
>>
>> Consider yourself lucky, Most network admins whove been around large
>> busy ISP DC's have seen this in their lifetime, to not have seen one
>> is
>> rare, go buy yourself a lotto ticket :)
>>

>> > If your servers get drowned with water during a fire your fs is
>> > probably the
>> > least of your worries. You don't really plan to re-enable servers with
>> > water- or fire-damage, do you? That's probably why there shouldn't be a
>> > fireman pouring water in the first place.
>>
>> This shows you dont understand structural engineering, the fire does
>> not
>> have to be on your floor, it can be far away as two or so levels
>> above,
>> with the high pressure water used - equating to a shitload of water,
>> there are ducts, shafts, other risers and so on that with a shit-tone
>> of
>> water can easily penetrate fireblocks of floors below - dont take my
>> work,  go ask a fireman, or maybe watch the nightly news sometime
>> (building fire - many levels water affected blah blah blah)... so
>> keeping those boxes on via UPS's is asking for lots of charcoaled
>> boards
>> and fried drives. IOW, total stupidity.
>>
>> Should those machines be depowered as required by our building codes,
>> well, might take a few days of drying out but at least they will power
>> back up without error - yes, done it in risk assessments.
>

> Obviously you must work for people that have not the slightest idea
> about
> using hardware in a correct way and don't know when the time has come
> to throw

> it away. Man, there is no way to let a drowned box survive. It is not
> back to

Wow, how long did you allege to have been in network/sys admin?  20
years? Really? I think you made a typo and and it should have read 20
minutes, ya know I have refrained from posting no here for a long time
(apart from fact I rarely read the list), and I was not going to feed
the trolls, but sometimes the smart mouthed know nothing, need to bitch
slap upside the head so thats why I am devoting about 60 seconds to you.

Of course there is, networks dont throw away many hundreds of servers
valued $7K to $10K, nor $100K+ storage systems, or $40K routers, LB's or
switches, just because they got drenched - with power isolated.

> normal when it is dry. If you don't get that I am pretty happy to be no
> customer. This can only be an idea born in the sick mind of a
> controller who

You will never be a customer _or_employee_ of mine, trust me on that
one!

> didn't want to pay insurance in the first place. We are talking about
> serious

Got nothing to with insurance, it might take 2 days to dry out and get
back up and running, it will take an awful lot longer to get offsite
backups and restore every last one of them.

I hope your employer reads this list, because he/she should be seeing
alarm bells from your comments.

> corrosion effects here let alone that you have a hard time even
> knowning when

yep, you sure did fail basic engineering

> your boxes are really dry. Your fireman on the other hand seem to be
> stuck in
> the 80ths. Today there are solar panels almost everywhere _which you
> cannot
> turn off_.

Wow, you really are clutching the fantasy straws arnt you, perhaps your
country lacks modernisation, I can go to the side of my house and
isolate the panels with a flick of a switch, strangely enough and I
guess in your eyes horrifyingly called "solar isolator" that stops the
panels providing power to my electrical circuits, yes, there might be
power from panels to it, but thats not going to affect my power circuits
or equipment

--
If you have the urge to reply to all rather than reply to list, you best
first read  http://members.ausics.net/qwerty/