NetApp NFS vs. ZFS and NFS for Maildir

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Mon Mar 14 06:59:28 UTC 2016

On 14/03/2016 09:59, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 09:32:42 +1000
> Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:
>
>> On 13/03/2016 20:47, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

>> > I don't know the actual setup, but if you have no UPC you shouldn't
>> > host email
>> > services anyway.
>>
>> I'm guessing you meant UPS, anyway, a UPS wont protect you from human
>> error.
>>
>> Also, most buildings, at least in this country, have a fire emergency
>> shutoff requirement, meaning mains is isolated from the building, and
>> the back up gennies are also forbidden to be engaged - UPS's dont last
>> forever.
>
> Guys, please don't argue on kindergarten level. The UPS is for backing
> sudden death, but not for running five days. Of course you can do a
> controlled
> shutdown if battery level falls below a trigger value. And this is
> about all
> you need: control. There is no fs error as long as you perform a
> regular

and you've never seen these cause problems with FS?  then you must be a
newbie, in over 25 years I've seen it happen several times - yes even
after an apparent controlled shutdown.

> shutdown. If UPS-backup is forbidden in your country then I suggest
> moving to
> civilized regions of the planet ;-)

Now whos on kindergarten level, do you really want fireman pouring water
on fire on a level of a building thats powered up because some lamer has
a generator running? really? I'm sure those firemen would gladly hand
YOU the hose, the best UPS systems runtime we've seen under average load
for a large ISP data centre is 21 mins, usually ample time to allow the
generators to start up, come to full power, and switch in taking over
the load, but thats not going to help during a building fire, once their
depleted, their depleted.

--
If you have the urge to reply to all rather than reply to list, you best
first read  http://members.ausics.net/qwerty/