NetApp NFS vs. ZFS and NFS for Maildir

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Sun Mar 13 23:59:37 UTC 2016

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 09:32:42 +1000
Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:

> On 13/03/2016 20:47, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 09:45:06 +0000
> > James <lista at xdrv.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> On 11/03/2016 15:17, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> >>
> >>  > zfs set sync=disabled ?
> >>
> >> Only if you are happy to loose data on power failure.
> >
> > I don't know the actual setup, but if you have no UPC you shouldn't
> > host email
> > services anyway.
>
> I'm guessing you meant UPS, anyway, a UPS wont protect you from human
> error.
>
> Also, most buildings, at least in this country, have a fire emergency
> shutoff requirement, meaning mains is isolated from the building, and
> the back up gennies are also forbidden to be engaged - UPS's dont last
> forever.

Guys, please don't argue on kindergarten level. The UPS is for backing a
sudden death, but not for running five days. Of course you can do a controlled
shutdown if battery level falls below a trigger value. And this is about all
you need: control. There is no fs error as long as you perform a regular
shutdown. If UPS-backup is forbidden in your country then I suggest moving to
civilized regions of the planet ;-)

--
Regards,
Stephan