overview zlib efficiency? Summary and added note

Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Wed Mar 16 07:50:33 UTC 2016

Am 15.03.16 um 16:01 schrieb Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator:
> Hi,
>
> may be someone has already done that: Do you have a script(?) tool which
> shows the efficiency of the mail compression if zlib is used?
>
> Something that shows the uncompressed size vrs. the compressed.

Hi,

maybe my question was a bit misleading. But anyway thanks for your
feedback regarding your experiences and compression rates.

We already thought about the benefit of less IO and more CPU power,
which is no concern.

The mailboxes I checked also go with 40-60% compression rate.

But what I was looking for was a tool or way to see what volume would be
used if we where not using compression.

e.g. "du -hs --without-zlib"

Our management would like to see a graph one day which shows the volume
uncompressed and compressed ...

Adding zlib with mdbox or maildir - as we do it currently - is from my
POV if you have the CPU power a MUST :)

	happy dovecoting - Götz