overview zlib efficiency? Summary and added note

Harald Leithner leithner at itronic.at
Wed Mar 16 09:48:11 UTC 2016

Hi,

use "doveadm" to get all real message

doveadm -f table fetch -A "size.physical" ALL | awk
'{s+=$2}END{printf("%.2fMB\n", s/1024/1024);}'

189247.67MB .. 185G

use "du" to get size on disc:

In my case
with deduplication:

/srv/stroage/# du -s -h *
53G     vmail
75G     vmail_sis

without deduplication

/srv/stroage/# du -s -h -l *
53G     vmail
209G    vmail_sis

j4i, SIS can't use the zlib plugin so the 75G in my case are not
compressed (I haven't a filesystem that I trust and has a compression
feature). Anyway it has a 3:1 ratio in my case.

Maybe I interpret the SIS wrong and SIS couldn't be counted with du -l
(count links).

But if someone doesn't have SIS this values should be point you into the
right direction.

bye

Harald

--
Harald Leithner

ITronic
Wiedner Hauptstraße 120/5.1, 1050 Wien, Austria
Tel: +43-1-545 0 604
Mobil: +43-699-123 78 4 78
Mail: leithner at itronic.at | itronic.at