overview zlib efficiency? Summary and added note

Haravikk dovecot at haravikk.me
Wed Mar 16 10:52:22 UTC 2016

Not sure how you’re seeing such a high ratio; I tried the same commands on my system (thanks for these btw) and my savings from compression are around 5% =D

That said I’m dealing with a much smaller volume (3gb) and I’ve only identified a half dozen or so attachments that don’t have some kind of compression already; most modern mail programs will compress common types like images by default, and many modern file-formats have compression built in, and can give better results than zlib anyway.

My biggest savings are on mailing list messages (I filter these into their own mailbox) since they tend to be longer than typical messages, especially with auto-quoting, they also tend to be very busy mailboxes, but I also don’t keep them forever.

As an experiment I also tried moving my (uncompressed) messages to a compressing file-system (ZFS using lz4) but the savings were similarly small; I assume they were probably a bit better, but the extra overhead of the file-system eroded it since the savings are so small in my case. I think if you’re serious about compression then a compressing file-system is the way to go though, but in my case I’m on virtual hosting so there’s not much point in layering a ZFS volume on top of shared storage (since it’s ZFS based already for integrity/redundancy).

I just thought I’d mention my experience since people are quoting big savings that I haven’t seen; I wouldn’t consider my usage all that unusual, maybe some of you are receiving a lot more newsletter type traffic (these messages can be quite large), uncompressed document type files, or are less selective in which messages are retained forever? Just a caution that people looking at compression may not see the same savings depending upon their actual content.

Spam is another bad category for compression I’ve found; at least in my case the messages are usually very short, and/or contain randomised junk to try to confound filters, though I’m pretty aggressive about clearing them (I discard messages outright above a certain threshold, and use a script to expunge spam messages so that I can expunge messages with higher spam ratings faster (so possible false positives stick around longer so they can be caught).