TLS handshake issue

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Thu Mar 17 20:04:26 UTC 2016

On 17/03/2016 17:18, John Oliver wrote:
> The dovecot log with lots of verbosity enabled tells me:
>
> imap-login: Info: Disconnected (no auth attempts): rip=192.168.1.200,
> lip=192.168.1.10, TLS handshaking: Disconnected

'no auth attempts' has been reported on the list a few times before
and, in some cases, it means what it says - the  MUA made no attempt
to authenticate with username and password.  I think authentication is
a different activity from setting up an encrypted comms channel.

Two ideas:

Is the MUA set up to use a login?

And, as part of the secure connection, is the MUA setup to use 'starttls'?

hth Ron