TLS handshake issue

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Thu Mar 17 20:56:22 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 08:04:26PM +0000, Ron Leach wrote:
> On 17/03/2016 17:18, John Oliver wrote:
> >The dovecot log with lots of verbosity enabled tells me:
> >
> >imap-login: Info: Disconnected (no auth attempts): rip=192.168.1.200,
> >lip=192.168.1.10, TLS handshaking: Disconnected
>

> 'no auth attempts' has been reported on the list a few times before
> and, in some cases, it means what it says - the  MUA made no attempt
> to authenticate with username and password.  I think authentication is
> a different activity from setting up an encrypted comms channel.
>
> Two ideas:
>
> Is the MUA set up to use a login?
>
> And, as part of the secure connection, is the MUA setup to use 'starttls'?

Unfortunately, as the MUA is Apple Mail, that answer is hard to
determine.  Have I configured a login?  Sure.  have I checked "Use SSL"?
Yup.  Do those settings mean anything?  Who knows?

With our old mail server, it "just works"... after going through the
mail setup, we don't need to do anything fancy.  I can't help but
imagine that there's some other difference in the default configs.  I'll
have to dump the configs of both and do a diff and hope there aren't so
many differences I can't pick out what may be relevant here...