NetApp NFS vs. ZFS and NFS for Maildir

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat Mar 19 07:37:04 UTC 2016

On 14/03/2016 18:49, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

>> and you've never seen these cause problems with FS?  then you must be
>> newbie, in over 25 years I've seen it happen several times - yes even
>> after an apparent controlled shutdown.
>
> Maybe you're doing something wrong then. because in my last 21 years
> working
> exactly in this business I've not seen a single deadly fs-crash because
> of a
> power-outage. Not one. And we had of course several, all backed by UPS.

Consider yourself lucky, Most network admins whove been around large
busy ISP DC's have seen this in their lifetime, to not have seen one is
rare, go buy yourself a lotto ticket :)

> If your servers get drowned with water during a fire your fs is
> probably the
> least of your worries. You don't really plan to re-enable servers with
> water- or fire-damage, do you? That's probably why there shouldn't be a
> fireman pouring water in the first place.

This shows you dont understand structural engineering, the fire does not
have to be on your floor, it can be far away as two or so levels above,
with the high pressure water used - equating to a shitload of water,
there are ducts, shafts, other risers and so on that with a shit-tone of
water can easily penetrate fireblocks of floors below - dont take my
work,  go ask a fireman, or maybe watch the nightly news sometime
(building fire - many levels water affected blah blah blah)... so
keeping those boxes on via UPS's is asking for lots of charcoaled boards
and fried drives. IOW, total stupidity.

Should those machines be depowered as required by our building codes,
well, might take a few days of drying out but at least they will power
back up without error - yes, done it in risk assessments.

--
If you have the urge to reply to all rather than reply to list, you best
first read  http://members.ausics.net/qwerty/