NetApp NFS vs. ZFS and NFS for Maildir

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Sat Mar 19 08:11:31 UTC 2016

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 17:37:04 +1000
Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:

> On 14/03/2016 18:49, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
> >

> >> and you've never seen these cause problems with FS?  then you must be
> >> newbie, in over 25 years I've seen it happen several times - yes even
> >> after an apparent controlled shutdown.
> >
> > Maybe you're doing something wrong then. because in my last 21 years
> > working
> > exactly in this business I've not seen a single deadly fs-crash because
> > of a
> > power-outage. Not one. And we had of course several, all backed by UPS.
>
> Consider yourself lucky, Most network admins whove been around large
> busy ISP DC's have seen this in their lifetime, to not have seen one is
> rare, go buy yourself a lotto ticket :)
>

> > If your servers get drowned with water during a fire your fs is
> > probably the
> > least of your worries. You don't really plan to re-enable servers with
> > water- or fire-damage, do you? That's probably why there shouldn't be a
> > fireman pouring water in the first place.
>
> This shows you dont understand structural engineering, the fire does not
> have to be on your floor, it can be far away as two or so levels above,
> with the high pressure water used - equating to a shitload of water,
> there are ducts, shafts, other risers and so on that with a shit-tone of
> water can easily penetrate fireblocks of floors below - dont take my
> work,  go ask a fireman, or maybe watch the nightly news sometime
> (building fire - many levels water affected blah blah blah)... so
> keeping those boxes on via UPS's is asking for lots of charcoaled boards
> and fried drives. IOW, total stupidity.
>
> Should those machines be depowered as required by our building codes,
> well, might take a few days of drying out but at least they will power
> back up without error - yes, done it in risk assessments.

Obviously you must work for people that have not the slightest idea about
using hardware in a correct way and don't know when the time has come to throw
it away. Man, there is no way to let a drowned box survive. It is not back to
normal when it is dry. If you don't get that I am pretty happy to be no
customer. This can only be an idea born in the sick mind of a controller who
didn't want to pay insurance in the first place. We are talking about serious
corrosion effects here let alone that you have a hard time even knowning when
your boxes are really dry. Your fireman on the other hand seem to be stuck in
the 80ths. Today there are solar panels almost everywhere _which you cannot
turn off_. Sure you have a switch somewhere, but it does not help you for the
space between the switch and the roof (which can be a pretty long distance).
Really, sorry, I don't want to listen to more horror stories from you
operating drowned equipment.
And in the end: considering your "large busy ISP DC's" they should have backup
DCs located elsewhere with mirrored data, right?
Lets please end that now and for all.

--
Regards,
Stephan