Allowing for multiple recipient_delimiter characters?

Aaron Lindsay aclindsa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 21:58:44 UTC 2016

Postfix allows the recipient_delimiter configuration parameter to
contain multiple characters, splitting on the first such character it
encounters. For example, if using 'recipient_delimiter=+-' both
aaron+foo at example.com and aaron-bar at example.com would be delivered to
aaron at example.com.

Is anyone opposed to changing dovecot's handling of
recipient_delimiter so that it's the same as that of postfix? If not,
I am willing to rebase/merge/address review comments on Lennart
Weller's patch[1] to get this functionality upstream.

While I think aligning with postfix' behaviour would be convenient for
those of us who run a server using both dovecot and postfix, would
this break any other common use cases I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

-Aaron

[1] - http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2015-February/099660.html
(I've talked with Lennart off-list, and he's OK with me working to get
his patch merged, as long as I attribute his work to him, but doesn't
have the time to work on it himself right now)