Understand the UID value in mailbox debug

Tobi tobster at brain-force.ch
Mon Mar 21 09:14:17 UTC 2016

Hi list

we have a client who complains that mails from a certain sender are
always put into his spamfolder. Our strong guess is that this is an
issue with the webmail (Roundcube), but I need some help in
understanding the output from dovecot's mailbox-debug.

In order to narrow down the source of the problem we activated the
mailbox-debug from Dovecot. Now we can see that the mail is moved into
the spamfolder. But the strange thing is that a UID is logged which does
not exist on the mailserver

The following log is the "move" of the mail into the spamfolder

Mar 19 11:53:57 backend3 dovecot: imap(REMOVED_FOR_PRIVACY):
OmQLrmQubgDAqDIW copy from INBOX: box=INBOX.Spam, uid=58,
msgid=<000601d181cd$71401940$53c04bc0$@bluewin.ch>, size=314585
Mar 19 11:53:57 backend3 dovecot: imap(REMOVED_FOR_PRIVACY):
OmQLrmQubgDAqDIW delete: box=INBOX, uid=1614,
msgid=<000601d181cd$71401940$53c04bc0$@bluewin.ch>, size=314585
Mar 19 11:53:57 backend3 dovecot: imapREMOVED_FOR_PRIVACY):
OmQLrmQubgDAqDIW expunge: box=INBOX, uid=1614,
msgid=<000601d181cd$71401940$53c04bc0$@bluewin.ch>, size=314585

I do not understand whose UID this is, as it does not exist on the
server. Does dovecot create temporary UID or something like that? Or is
it more a process ID?

Thanks and regards

tobi