sieve - editheader - edit in place

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Mon Mar 21 16:57:42 UTC 2016

Op 21-3-2016 om 10:24 schreef Hajo Locke:
> Hello,
>
> i do some tests with sieve editheader extensions. deleteheader and
> addheader are working, but i noticed that new headerlines are always
> prepended to current header.

They can also be appended with ":last".

> So new lines can be found always on top. I am looking for a
> possibility to edit a headerline in place, without moving the new line
> to top of stack(replaceheader?). It is not looking good if a
> Subject-Line suddenly moves to top of header.

Things not looking good in the header is not really a good reason for
wanting this, is it? :)

I do understand the sentiment, though.

> Is there a possibility for me?

Well, the editheader extension was born with a replaceheader command:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-degener-sieve-editheader-00

But it was quickly removed after the first draft. I am not sure why.

So, there is currently no standard way to achieve this.

I could create a "vnd.dovecot.replaceheader" extension to reinstate it,
but no GUI would use it.

Is anyone else longing for this ability?

Regards,

Stephan.